Success, and how to achieve it.

Before you can succeed at anything, you need to know how you are measuring success. 

This will be different for every single rider, however if you are an amateur riding at local level with success being measured in how many Olympic medals you achieve, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment (however, anything is possible! dream big). 

What we mean is, in your short to medium term goals, are you stretching yourself? or not stretching enough? to keep yourself motivated and on track, you should have three goal levels to work towards: 

The over-ambitious goal: Between 2 years- a lifetime. Example: To run at Badminton. This goal is something that is very challenging to achieve, that you make your mission to work towards and guides the rest of your progress.

The stretch goal: Between 1 month-1 Year. Example: To move up a BE level. This may be an ambitious goal, but more achievable with hard work than the over-ambitious goal.

The day-to-day goal: Daily-weekly. Example: To make it over the ditch at XC schooling this time. 

Of course, goals only stay goals unless you put in the hard work. Setting your goals is around 20%, the remaining 80% is determination and training. To be successful you need to review your training programme regularly to focus on weaker points as they arise. 

Tips for training & review: 

1. Find the best instructor for you, who gets the best out of you and your horse. 

2. Video yourself, there are things you cannot see while on board. 

3. Have specific aims for each training session.

4. Always end on a good note.

5. Practice! for most people, their instructor cannot be there all of the time. Try writing down the key points of each session with them, so that you can practice alone. 

Of course, the biggest goal of all is keeping our horses happy, healthy and protected. If our horses come home from a training session or competition in good health, without injury, we think that is the biggest win. But a rosette is always nice.